One person was hospitalized during the Wednesday morning rush hour after more falling debris fell from the Cross Bronx Expressway.
The debris came down on the driver around 8 a.m., from the ceiling over a westbound lane of the expressway leading to the lower level of the George Washington Bridge.
The injured person was rushed to a nearby hospital but was expected to survive, FDNY officials said.
Westbound lanes were closed throughout the day while crews made the necessary repairs. Port Authority said an investigation into the incident on the Trans-Manhattan Expressway leading into the bridge was underway, and that all westbound lanes would remain closed through the evening rush hour as repairs continue.
Port Authority later said that “temporary repairs” would be completed overnight, and that the bridge would reopen by the morning rush hour.
Drivers heading in that direction toward the 181st Street exit were diverted via Jerome Avenue and the Major Deegan Expressway while the exit remains closed.
The incident marks the second time within a week that falling debris hit a car along the Cross Bronx Expressway.
Last week, dashcam video caught the moment a large of concrete fell from an underpass in front of a vehicle. The driver said that the car had to be towed because it sustained considerable damage.
Fortunately, no one was injured.
Dashcam video caught the moment a large of concrete fell from an underpass in front of a vehicle on the Cross Bronx Expressway (I-95) in New York. The driver said that the car had to be towed because it sustained considerable damage. Fortunately, no one was injured.
